Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Plymouth Parkway

Post by KOB - 25-09-2022, 11:30

Hartley Wintney v Plymouth Parkway, Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South, Saturday 24th Sept 2022
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney and Plymouth Parkway shared the points, with the home side recovering from a three goal half-time deficit.

With both sides having a 'Parting of the Seas of Galilee' defensive look about them from the start, a lot of goals seemed certain. Parkway started off on the front foot and took the lead on 8 minutes. An in-swinging free-kick on the left by BILLY PALFREY completely deceived Row 'keeper, Adam Desbois, and dropped into the net at the far post. (0-1)

Hartley put together their first notable move on 11 minutes, which resulted in them pulling level. Zidan Akers crossed from the left and Callum Rose was unfortunate to deflect his attempted clearance into his own net. (1-1)

The Row should have taken the lead on 14 minutes. Kingsley Eshun (on for the injured Akers) made good progress down the left. His pass inside found Aaron McLeish-White who saw his shot from close range deflected wide.

The visitors' nippy forwards were giving the Row defence a torrid time and, a minute later, Jack Crago and Ben Seymour combined, with the latter's shot bringing out a smart save from Desbois.

On 17 minutes the Row were unlucky not to take the lead. Eshun found Harry Cooksley and the Hartley captain was out of luck when he saw his 25 yard shot crash off the post.

Parkway moved into the ascendancy and took the lead on 23 minutes. RYAN LANE made a good run down the left and, after combining with Crago, fired in a shot. The Row defence were unable to clear and Lane, following up, blasted the ball home. (1-2)

Things got better for the visitors 5 minutes later. A long ball found JACK CRAGO running behind the Row defence. Crago dribbled round Desbois before shooting into the empty net. (1-3)

Eshun and Reese Jones combined well on the left after 37 minutes and the cross-come-shot from the latter saw the Parkway custodian, Kyle Moore, bring off a good save. A minute later, with the Hartley defence looking threadbare, the visitors added a fourth goal. Crago and BEN SEYMOUR combined well down the left and the latter shot past Desbois, putting the visitors into a seemingly insurmountable position. (1-4)

Hartley finished the half strongly and on 40 minutes a cross from Cooksley was headed over by McLeish-White. Cooksley was unlucky three minutes later with a free-kick 25 yards out from goal. His well struck shot took a deflection and crashed off the top of the crossbar.

It was evident that the Hartley team appeared to have had a pep talk from the team managers at the break, as they started the half briskly. On 46 minutes Eshun created space for a shot which took a deflection and the ball found its way to McLeish-White, who headed wide. A minute later the Row pulled a goal back.

Good work by Anis Nuur on the right saw his cross deflected into the path of TEDDY DAVEY, who showed excellent technique shooting into the corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area. (2-4)

The remainder of the half was a non-stop bombardment of the Parkway goal. On 48 minutes Cooksley found space for a shot which took a deflection and went just wide. However, on 55 minutes Hartley pulled another goal back.

McLeish-White managed to get free inside the penalty area before being pulled down. HARRY COOKSLEY took the spot kick, which hit the inside of the post but entered the net off Moore, the Plymouth goalie. (3-4)

The Row laid siege to the Parkway goal but were unable to create a decisive opening. On 67 minutes, a shot from Nuur some 25 yards out saw a well positioned Moore save. Four minutes later the Row - and in particular their captain - were out of luck again when a clever free-kick from a tight angle on the left from Cooksley crashed off the outside of the post as he tried to catch the keeper out at his near post.

Hartley threw everything at the Plymouth goal, with even goalkeeper Desbois coming up for late corners. Just when it looked like the points were heading to the West Country, the Row pulled level in the sixth minute of added time.

Kingsley Eshun got beyond the visitors' defence as he chased through the middle on the end of a Shane Hollamby header. As Parkway 'keeper Moore came out, the two clashed moments after Eshun had got a toe to the ball. The Parkway players protested, but after a delay HARRY COOKSLEY confidently converted the penalty kick low to the keeper's right. [D Graham]


Entertainment: 5 out of 5
Man of the Match: ANIS NUUR (Hartley Wintney)
Attendance: 319

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Adam Desbois, Tom Leggett, Reese Jones, Matt Drage, Toby Nevile, Harrison Bayley, Teddy Davey, Anis Nuur, Aaron McLeish-White, Harry Cooksley (c), Zidan Akers.
Substitutes: Kingsley Eshun (on), Shane Hollamby (on), Youel Emmanuel (on), Jayden Hutchings, Dashun Cooper (GK)

PLYMOUTH PARKWAY: Kyle Moore, Tyler Ashmead, Ryan Lane, Austen Booth, Callum Rose, Mike Landricombe (c), Mikey Williams, Billy Palfrey, Ben Seymour, Jared Lewington, Jack Crago.
Substitites : Callum Hall (on), Aaron Goulty, Reece Shanley (on), Rio Garside (on), Dan Rooney