Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Willand Rovers , FA Trophy

Post by KOB - 14-11-2021, 11:59

Hartley Wintney v Willand Rovers, The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Proper. Saturday 13th November 2021
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney moved into the FA Trophy second round with a comfortable win over Willand Rovers despite playing the second half with ten men. The match was effectively decided in the first 17 minutes as the Row scored three unopposed goals.

Hartley started the brighter and on 8 minutes Reece Wylie created an opening for Mitch Parker, who saw his shot bring out a comfortable save from George Burton in the Rovers goal. However, one minute later and Hartley took the lead.

Ryan Case sent over a high looping cross from the left. Mitch Parker managed to control the cross and shot home from 12 yards. (1-0)

Two minutes later, an accurate cross from the right by Jacques Kpohomouh found the head of Sam Argent, who watched his effort go wide. But Hartley had their tails up and on 12 minutes added a second. Mitch Parker linked up well with Sam Argent, and his pass across goal from the left was converted by Kingsley Eshun. (2-0)

Willand came into the game and on 15 minutes Bailey Kempster did well to get behind the Row defence on the left. His cross across the face of the goal just eluded two inrushing Rovers forwards.

A third Hartley goal followed on 17 minutes when Eshun was impeded in the penalty area and a spot kick awarded. Kingsley Eshun took the kick himself and scored. (3-0)

On 21 minutes Parker set-up Argent in a promising position, but the Row captain fired over. However the Row remained on top and on 33 minutes a Parker cross saw Matt Drage's goal-bound header blocked. Two minutes later, Parker was on the end of a decent move and saw his shot saved by Burton.

Willand rarely threatened and were indebted to some stout defending and good goalkeeping from George Burton. However the Rovers were given a lifeline of sorts when Hartley fullback Jacques Kpohomouh picked up a second yellow card for a hand ball offence in first half injury time and was sent from the field of play. This meant the Rovers would have a man advantage in the second period.

With the Row content to hold the lead in the second half, chances were few and far between. Kingsley Eshun had a chance to complete his hat-trick on 53 minutes after he was pushed in the area. His second spot kick brought out a comfortable save from Burton.

The Rovers had a chance on 70 minutes when Louis Jagger-Kane got behind the Hartley defence but shot wide of the goal. Two minutes later, Josh Webb for the Row gave Mitch Parker a good chance but the Hartley striker had to watch as his shot was saved by Burton in the Rovers goal.

On 84 minutes, Toby Raggett managed to thread his way through the visitors' defence before setting up Reece Robins. The substitute striker struck his shot well, only to see the effort crash off the crossbar.

Shortly afterwards, Josh Webb saw his effort go just wide, but then the visitors finished well. A good move in the last minute, involving a number of players, saw Archie Reay bring out a save from Luke Williams in the Hartley goal. [D Graham]


HARTLEY WINTNEY: Luke Williams, Jacques Kpohomouh, Ryan Case, Matt Drage, Pascal Kpohomouh, Harrison Bayley, Josh Webb, Reece Wylie, Sam Argent (c), Mitch Parker, Kingsley Eshun.
Subs: Reece Robins (on), Kyen Nicholas, Toby Raggett (on), Aaron Goode (on), Lewis Hoy (GK)

WILLAND ROVERS: George Burton, Josh Searle, Ryan Guppy, Adam Hill, Kieran Bally, Rhys Thomas, Noah Coppin, Archie Reay, Ben Griffith, Bailey Kempster, Mani Skett
Subs: Travis Yule-Turner (on), Matt Wood, Louis Jagger-Kane (on), Kieran Ireland, David Steele (on)

The Row manager, Anthony Millerick, spoke with David after the match.
"This was altogether a much better performance than in the previous match. There was good quality and a desire in our play."

Millers continued, "It was a case of two contrasting halves. In the first half we created a good number of chances and perhaps could have added a few more goals. In the second period we had to adjust to being one player short, and I felt we saw the match out comfortably.

"I am pleased for the team, who have responded in the best way possible to recent setbacks. And of course we're pleased to be in the draw for the next round of the FA Trophy."
  • KOB

    14-11-2021, 12:07

    Very well done boys, the perfect way to bounce back after Tuesday. A professional performance to see the game out in the second half and still create chances. Another marker in the history books too.
    • Mick

      14-11-2021, 14:16

      A high quality performance from the squad yesterday. Game management when down to 10 men was key to the result and effectively achieved. The distraction appeared to be a referee that did not apply plain commonsense to control of the fixture. Had he not been trained in the procedure of the "Stepped Approach" before issuing cards to players? May be the presence of an officials Assessor in the stand resulted in an excessive 10 yellow cards and 1 Red being produced in a match that should not have been all about the man in the middle! Great work from Manager Millers (Happy Birthday) and Steve Noakes - your guys did good!
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy