Club Web Forum

Match Report: Walton Casuals v Hartley Wintney (SFL Prem)

Post by KOB - 21-11-2021, 11:56

Walton Casuals v Hartley Wintney, Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South. Saturday 20th November 2021
Report by David Graham

Mid table Walton Casuals won out after an eventful game against relegation threatened Hartley Wintney. For the second match is succession Hartley finished the match with just nine players.

The Casuals took control of this match very early on with a hat-trick from Daniel Rowe in just 18 minutes. On 3 minutes a long ball found Adam Liddle behind the Hartley defence. The former Row youth player controlled the ball well before setting up DANIEL ROWE to shoot home from the edge of the box. (1-0)

The Stags doubled their lead on 9 minutes. A slick move down the left enabled the overlapping Reuben Duncan to get to the goal line. His low cross was swept into the net at the near post by DANIEL ROWE. (2-0)

Hartley were being troubled by the runs of Liddle beyond their defence. On 18 minutes the home side added a third. A move down the left enabled a long high cross into the Hartley area and DANIEL ROWE headed home unchallenged to complete his hat-trick. (3-0)

On 30 minutes Zidan Akers for the Stags found space near the Row area and his shot was saved by the well positioned Luke Williams in the Hartley goal. A minute later the Casuals had a free-kick on the edge of the Hartley box. Rowe took the kick which had a massive deflection and went just wide of the goal.

Reece Robins replaced the injured Sam Argent for Hartley and put in a really good performance. On 34 minutes Robins made good progress down the left after a pass from Josh Webb, but his cross eluded the Row strikers.

Hartley were stabilising the ship but were rocked by a Stags fourth goal on 36 minutes. A move down the left saw ROHDELL GORDON shoot from a difficult angle. The shot seemed to wrong foot Williams and the ball trundled into the net, leaving the Row with a mountain to climb. (4-0)

The Row responded well and on 41 minutes got themselves on the scoresheet. A quick Josh Webb free-kick found Mitch Parker, who fed DANIEL FITCHETT running behind the Stags defence. The striker rounded Stags goalie, Jacob Adams, before shooting into the empty net.

Two minutes into the second period and the Stags almost increased their lead. Rowe got past the two Hartley central defenders and shot past Williams, but the ball went just wide of the goal.

On 52 minutes, some loose play by the Row defence presented a good chance to Liddle, who blazed his shot over the bar.

Hartley were gaining more possession, but an already difficult task became more difficult on 60 minutes. Fitchett moved from being hero to villain after picking up a red card. The Row striker challenged for the ball with Ansu Jennah, and after the Stags defender went down, his team mates surrounded the referee. The Casuals claim was deliberate stamp. Fitchett and the Row claimed accidental tread on hand. The referee agreed with the home side and the Row were down to ten players.

Soon after, a long shot from Rowe almost caught out Williams who was off his line, and the ball hit the post.

Hartley had a good spell despite the man disadvantage, and on 63 minutes almost reduced the deficit. A free-kick on the right from Jordan Edwards saw Matt Drage rise highest and his header hit the post. However, a minute later the Row did pull another goal back. A ball down the left found Parker, who cut in. His goal-bound shot hit a Stags hand and a penalty kick was awarded. MITCH PARKER took the kick himself and scored. (4-2)

Hartley continued in the ascendancy and on 73 minutes a good move down the left created a chance for Parker, who saw his shot saved. A minute later, Leo Hamblin went on a long run with the ball from defence and his parting shot went over the crossbar.

Three minutes later, a long cross from Ryan Case found Mitchell Parker, his shot being comfortably saved by Adams.

On 78 minutes, Rowe for the Stags went on a long run from defence and his shot from the right went across the face of the goal. Three minutes later and the Hartley ten men were back in the game.

A move down the left saw Parker hold up play before releasing Hamblin on the overlap. The low cross was controlled by JORDAN EDWARDS, who shot home from close range. (4-3)

The Row's chances of gaining a point were all but extinguished on 87 minutes. Liddle got free down the middle and was hauled down by Harry Taylor on the edge of the penalty area. As last man defender, Taylor was immediately given a straight red card. The free-kick saw an excellent save from Williams via the post after Mitchal Gough's free-kick had beaten the wall.

On full-time Williams again came to the rescue as he pushed over a long range effort from Gough.

For Hartley, good performances from Leo Hamblin and Reece Robins, with Josh Webb influential in midfield. A very slow start from the Row proved decisive in the end. [D Graham]

WALTON CASUALS: Jacob Adams, Zackery Chislett, Reuben Duncan, Ansu Jennah, Joshua Lelan, Mitchal Gough, Zidan Akers, Bradley Keetch. Adam Liddle, Daniel Rowe, Rohdell Gordon.
Subs: Cadell Fraser-Robinson, Joe Morrison, Gabriel Odunaike, Jeremiah Achina, Shaun McAuley.

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Luke Williams, Ryan Case, Leo Hamblin, Matt Drage, Harry Taylor, Jordan Edwards, Josh Webb, Reece Wylie, Daniel Fitchett, Mitch Parker, Sam Argent (c)
Subs: Toby Raggett (on), Reece Robins (on), Aaron Goode, Jack Gardner, Tom Bird


David spoke with Hartley Wintney manager, Anthony Millerick, after the game.
"I felt it was going to be the Kings Langley match situation all over again. Our performance was inconsistent today, and of course that has been a pattern over the last number of weeks.
"Although we came back well, I do not feel we were unlucky. We need to play to good standards throughout the 90 minutes."

With suspensions and injuries now severely testing the size of the first team squad, Millers was frank in his assessment going forward. "Sam Argent picked up an injury which adds to our present problems with other injuries and suspensions. From a management point of view, this is a test on how to overcome our present setbacks. I was hoping the team would be further forward by now in progress, but we have no level of consistency at the moment. The team selection for the upcoming matches is going to be a challenge."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy