Club Web Forum

Match Report: Beaconsfield Town v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 19-12-2021, 12:25

Beaconsfield Town v Hartley Wintney, Pitching In Southern League Premier Division South. Saturday 18th December 2021
Report by David Graham

Beaconsfield Town completed the double over Hartley Wintney thanks to a solitary unopposed goal in the second half.

Hartley started well a good move through the middle ended with a shot from Daniel Fitchett. The Rams goalkeeper, Michael Neish, parried and Jordan Edwards, following up, netted the rebound. However, the assistant referee raised his flag, indicating Edwards had been offside.

Beaconsfield looked quick on the break and, on 13 minutes, a long ball from defence found Oliver McCoy beyond the Row defence, but his parting shot lacked power and Row goalie, Luke Williams, saved easily.

Almost immediately, Hartley attacked down the right. Kingsley Eshun sent in a low cross in front of goal. Fitchett got to it first but directed his shot wide of the goal. A minute later a Rams' attack down the left created an opening for Oliver Sprague, who saw his well hit shot saved by Williams at the second attempt.

On 17 minutes, the home side created a chance for Toby Little to shoot and Williams did well to keep out the well hit shot. A minute later Hartley had a chance from a free-kick 20 yards out. Josh Webb saw his shot beat the wall, but Neish got across to bring up a good save. Webb had another chance on 20 minutes after being set-up by Harrison Bayley, but his parting effort went narrowly past the post.

Towards half-time Beaconsfield gained an edge in play. A long free-kick on 34 minutes found Nathan Minhas, but his shot lacked power and Williams saved. A period of sustained pressure by the Rams followed, with a few shots being blocked. Eventually the ball finished up with Sprague on the left-wing and his cross was just missed by the inrushing Rams forwards.

The second-half had barely started when the Row had a good chance to open the scoring. Kingsley Eshun forced a mistake in the Rams defence. As a result of a poor clearance, Jordan Edwards gave Sam Argent a clear sight of goal. The striker moved in but shot just over the crossbar.

On 54 minutes the Rams had a chance when a good move down the left saw the resulting cross find McCoy, who shot wide. Four minutes later, a well worked corner by Beaconsfield saw McCoy feed Little, and his cross was headed over by Jordan Ajaniekoko.

Play moved to the other end and a powerful left-wing run by Eshun enabled him to get behind the Beaconsfield defence. His shot was saved at the near post by Neish.

The Rams were gaining control of midfield and on 64 minutes a cross from Kaine Kennedy-Sinclair found Little, who saw his shot saved by Williams. Three minutes later, a cross from Sprague found McCoy, who headed over.

On 68 minutes Beaconsfield found the breakthrough. A right-wing cross was not fully cleared by the Row defence. The ball was moved to TOBY LITTLE who curled in a fine shot into the top corner from 20 yards.

Play evened up as the Row strove to get back into the match, but on 75 minutes the Rams had a chance to extend the lead. A free-kick on the right from McCoy found Little, who saw his effort go wide.

Hartley finished strongly but were unable to create a meaningful chance. A number of crosses were sent in and mostly dealt with comfortably by the home defence. Four minutes of added time was played, which saw the Rams hold on for the three valuable points. The Row had not been able to reach the same level of play displayed against Met Police last Tuesday evening, and overall the Rams probably just shaded a very close match.

Looking ahead, it is almost impossible to predict whether the forthcoming fixtures in the next few weeks will go ahead. Players are testing positive for Covid and having to self-isolate. Matches are already being called off. [D Graham]

BEACONSFIELD TOWN: Michael Neish, James Clark, Oliver Sprague, Jordan Ajaniekoko, Jordan Aghatise, Matthew Harriott, Toby Little, Aaron Minhas, Nathan Minhas, Oliver McCoy, Kaine Kennedu-Sinclair
Subs: Luke Neville (on), Daniel Bradshaw (on), Harry Tucker, Mihai-Andei Chiriac, Carl Stewart

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Luke Williams, Ryan Case, Reece Wylie, Matt Drage, Harry Taylor, Harrison Bayley, Josh Webb, Jordan Edwards, Sam Argent (c), Daniel Fitchett, Kingsley Eshun.
Subs: Aaron Goode, Toby Raggett (on), Kofi Halliday (on), Pascal Kpohomouh (on), Adam Allen.

CROWD: 103

David spoke with Hartley Wintney manager, Anthony Millerick, after the game.

"I thought we started well and were the better side over the first 20 minutes, and overall there was not much in the match. With a bit of good fortune we may well have been awarded at least one penalty."

Millers continued, "Of course we are disappointed to have conceded the goal and sustained the loss. However, we should have taken at least one of our chances, and towards the end we had a lot of huffing and puffing but nothing incisive."

He picked out Hartley man of the match, Reece Wylie, for his performance. "Leo Hamblin has been missing for the last two matches due to testing positive for covid. Reece Wylie has done well as a stand-in left back."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy