Club Web Forum

Match Report: Chertsey Town v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 29-08-2023, 16:07

Chertsey Town v Hartley Wintney, Pitching In Isthmian League South Central Division. Monday 28th August 2023.
Report by David Graham

Chertsey maintained their good start to the season by winning at home against Hartley Wintney by the odd goal in three.

The Curfews started the game at a blistering pace and should have been ahead inside the first minute. Sam Ompreon got behind the Row defence and his cross left Gianluca Botti with an open goal. However, from almost on the goal line, the forward got the ball stuck under his feet, and backtracking Hartley defenders managed to clear.

Intense pressure followed from Chertsey as the Row were forced to defend a number of dangerous corners. But then Hartley were almost gifted a goal on 6 minutes following an error in the home defence. Elijas Bagdonavicius took advantage, but the Curfews 'keeper, Nick Jupp, saved.

Another period of intense pressure followed, with Chertsey bombarding the Hartley goal and the Row defenders putting in a number of brave blocks. During this period, Louis Bouwers had a decent chance but shot straight at Callum Coulter in the Hartley goal.

The Row edged into the game and went ahead on 13 minutes. A corner on the right from Reece Wylie was not cleared, with efforts from Hartley striker Taylor Morgan, and captain, Liam Gavin, blocked. The ball eventually fell to KANYE JOBSON who shot home from 10 yards. (0-1)

The pattern of the game resumed, with the Curfews applying the pressure but the Row looking dangerous when they came out of defence. Ompreon came close for Chertsey on 20 minutes when he brought out and good save from Coulter. This resulted in an amazing scramble in front of the Row goal which the visitors just about survived.

After 20 minutes, a free-kick for Chertsey saw an accurate delivery from Luke Robertson, and Bouwers headed over.

The long overdue equaliser arrived on 38 minutes. Hartley managed to scramble the ball out following a spell of pressure. WAYNE RIDGELY tried a shot from 25 yards which took a deflection and finished up in the corner of the net. (1-1)

Hartley responded well and had a chance on 38 minutes. A George Wallace cross found Bagdonavicius, who saw his effort bring out a good save from Jupp. It was then the turn of Chertsey to threaten a goal on 40 minutes, when Botti got beyond the Hartley defence to set up a one-on-one dual with Coulter, which the Hartley stopper won.

Hartley had a good spell as the break approached. A cross from Bagdonavicius just eluded Taylor Morgan in front of goal. The attack continued and Reece Wylie saw his effort saved by Jupp. The Row were then very unlucky not to take the lead a minute before half-time. A fast break down the left involving Wallace and Jayden Smith saw the latter through on goal. His parting shot hit the inside of the post, and the subsequent follow-ups were blocked.

Half-time: Chertsey Town 1 Hartley Wintney 1

As in the first period, the Curfews came out at full steam ahead. A long ball up field found Ompreon, who saw his fine effort hit the crossbar.

On 49 minutes Chertsey went ahead. A fast break by Ompreon saw him square to GIANLUCA BOTTI to shoot home from close range. (2-1)

On 56 minutes the Curfews were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area. Conor Lee took the kick and Coulter produced a comfortable save. The action then switched, with Hartley having a good spell and putting together some dangerous attacks. On 60 minutes, a corner from Wylie saw a forest of heads go up at the back post, and a goal-bound header was cleared off the Chertsey line.

The Curfews had a chance on 70 minutes when a corner from Ridgely was headed over by Rob Sheridan. Then another Chertsey free-kick on the edge of the Row penalty area was put just over the bar by Ridgely.

The Row had a glorious chance to equalise on 80 minutes. Jayden Smith tricked his way into the Curfews penalty area before squaring to Taylor Morgan, but the striker shot over from 12 yards.

Chertsey switched to game management mode with good effect and held on for what was, on balance, probably a deserved, hard-fought win. [D Graham]

Full-Time: Chertsey Town 2 Hartley Wintney 1

CHERTSEY TOWN: Nick Jupp, Conor Lee, Alex Fisher, Robb Sheridan, Louis Bouwers, Luke Robertson, George Frith, Wayne Ridgely, Sam Ompreon, Gianluca Botti, Ollie Khinda
Subs: Toby Little (on), Ben Mendoza (on), Liam Flanangan (on), Gareth Chendlik, Jack Beadle

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Callum Coulter, Ashley Akpan, Mark Amaning, Kanye Jobson, Liam Gavin (c), Jenson Mansel, Jayden Smith, Nathanael Boakye, Taylor Morgan, Elijas Bagdonavicius, Reece Wylie
Subs: Mason Obeng (on), George Wallace (on), Kayode Conteh, Omreiki Myles (on), Killian Barrett (g/k)

Attendance: 542
Entertainment value 4/5
Hartley Man of the Match: JENSON MANSEL

After the game, David spoke with Hartley Wintney coaching team member, Andy Hunt.

"Today I felt we played a very good side who look as though they're going to be hard to win against this season. Chertsey started strongly, forcing us to defend very deeply, and in this regard we defended well. Callum (Coulter) in goal made some good saves, as he did throughout the game."

Andy continued, "Once we got into the game, I felt we played well. We had a good spell at the latter end of the first half, and came close to scoring several times today, so I'm proud of the young team today. They continue to improve, they're committed, and today they produced an incredible work-rate throughout."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy