Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Folkestone Invicta, FA Cup

Post by KOB - 03-09-2023, 15:29

Hartley Wintney v Folkestone Invicta, The Emirates FA Cup, 1st Qualifying Round. Saturday 2nd September 2023
Report by David Graham

A dominant second-half performance from Folkestone Invicta saw them progress into the next round of the Emirates FA Cup at the expense of Hartley Wintney.

The early play saw good enterprise from both sides but neither 'keeper was tested. The first chance fell to the visitors on 20 minutes when Scott Heard got on the end of a through pass, and his well struck shot brought out an excellent save from Callum Coulter in the Hartley goal.

Three minutes later Folkestone came close again when Ibrahim Olutade sent in a cross from the left which went narrowly wide.

On 27 minutes Hartley carved out their first real chance when Jayden Smith and Mason Obeng combined and the latter's parting shot went wide.

The Row came close again on 33 minutes when a cross from the left by Smith found Obeng, who was unfortunate to see his goal-bound shot hit the heal of Invicta's Callum Davies and go just past the post.

Folkestone edged ahead on 39 minutes. Good work in the build-up play by Scott Heard saw a cross which the Row were unable to clear, and JORDAN ABABIO, in acrobatic fashion, tried an overhead kick which looped over Coulter. The Assistant Referee flagged for a possible high boot by the scorer, but referee Adrian Harris allowed the goal to stand. (0-1)

Three minutes later the visitors should have increased their lead when a Heard cross was headed wide by a well placed David Smith.
HALF-TIME: Hartley Wintney 0 Folkestone Invicta 1

If the first-half was relatively even, the second-half saw Folkestone dominate for long periods.

Early pressure from the visitors was rewarded with an excellent second goal. JORDAN ABABIO managed to gain possession on the right and cut inside before sending a swerving shot, with the outside of his right foot, into the top corner of the net. (0-2)

Hartley edged into the game and on 57 minutes a corner from Reece Wylie was not fully cleared. The ball landed at Nathanael Boakye, who saw his shot saved by the well positioned Joe Coleman in the Invicta goal.

Five minutes later the Row put together a decent move, following a long run with the ball by Jenson Mansel. It ended with a through ball to Jayden Smith, who saw his shot from a tight angle saved by Coleman.

On 64 minutes the tie was put out of reach for Hartley with a third goal from Folkestone. Olutade forced his way through the middle before the ball broke to ANDRE COKER, who scored from 12 yards. (0-3)

Three minutes later, some very loose play in defence by Hartley allowed Olutade to get through, but Coulter came out to save well.

With Hartley tiring and Invicta now well on top, more chances followed. On 73 minutes Smith crossed and Drury headed over. Four minutes later, a cross from Coker saw Jackson head over. The next piece of action for IRA JACKSON, on 82 minutes, saw him clipped in the penalty area. He was elected to take the resultant penalty-kick, which he converted. (0-4)

Olutade had the next chance for Folkestone when he showed good skills which saw his shot crash off the post.

Hartley put in a spirited late rally. On 90 minutes, Obeng and Ashley Akpan combined well and the latter was unlucky to see his goal-bound shot take a deflection which sent it just wide.

There was still enough time for the visitors to create one final chance, when Jackson saw his shot bring out a decent save from Coulter.

For Hartley, very much a game of two halves. A decent first-half against their level higher Step 3 opponents, but they never really got started in the second period. Best for the Row were Kanye Jobson, George Wallace, Jayden Smith and the Row Man of the Match, Reece Wylie. [D Graham]

FULL TIME: Hartley Wintney 0 Folkestone Invicta 4

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Callum Coulter, Ashley Akpan, George Wallace, Jenson Mansel, Liam Gavin (c), Kanye Jobson, Jayden Smith, Nathanael Boakye, Elijas Bagdonavicius, Mason Obeng, Reece Wylie
Subs: Omreiki Myles (on), Cameron Pooni (on), Sam Bartlett, Aaron Gardiner, Isaiah Blankendal (on), Steven Noakes, Killian Barrett (g/k)

FOLKESTONE INVICTA: Joe Coleman, Freddy Barton, Kane Penn, Will Moses, Callum Davies, Andy Drury, Scott Heard, Ade Cole, David Smith, Ibraihim Olutade, Jordan Ababio
Subs: Ian Gayle, Ira Jackson (on), Andre Coker (on), Jake Dancer, George Surgeon, Will Dempsey (on), Michael Everitt.

Attendance: 313
Entertainment 4/5
Hartley Man of the Match: REECE WYLIE

Hartley Wintney Interim Manager, Andy Hunt, spoke with David after the game.

"It was a very disappointing result. In the first-half we gave a good account of ourselves. The enforced substitution (of Jensen Mansel) did not help our cause, but we did show a lot of promise. Folkestone took their chances when they came along and this was the deciding factor."

Andy continued, "At times throughout the match we moved the ball well and played some good football. We were punished for our errors, which is something we must work on to eliminate. It's a young team, but they can and must learn quickly from this match against a decent Step 3 side and move on."
  • KOB

    03-09-2023, 16:00

    This was my first game in attendance since pre-season, and at half-time I was pretty happy with what I'd seen. The boys moved the ball well, looked sharp and matched Folkestone, and I felt we were a tad unlucky to go in a goal down; Mason's shot was going in at the far post, with just the deflection diverting it narrowly wide. Then the disputed high boot goal, which from where I and David Graham were, looked like an own goal off Kanye's head, so the boot must have been high. To be fair, I thought referee Adrian Harris had a decent game overall, but I'm not sure why he allowed that.

    The second-half was a different story. I don't feel Folkestone did a whole lot more. Our lads just seemed to run out of legs. Of course, once Invicta scored the third, heads went down a bit and the legs must have felt heavier, but even before that, we just didn't keep up the standard of the first 45. Many more errors crept in as the game went on, but tiredness causes that.

    I think this group can play - by that I mean, they can play a style that's good to watch. Good passing, keeping it on the floor when possible, good movement, good levels of skill. Callum looks a decent 'keeper - liked the effortless way he kicks the ball and gets distance with accuracy. I just don't think the lads, at this point (and this is a general comment, it doesn't apply to them all) are quite fit enough. If they can bring themselves up to a fitness level that allows them to maintain for 90+ minutes what they did in the first-half, they will do just fine. Better than fine, probably. Yesterday was all part of the learning curve, and I saw plenty of positives.

    Some will have spotted Andy Hunt again in the dugout, and if you bought a programme you'll have seen him noted as Interim Manager, which is what we have to state, in accordance with FA policy, in the absence of Rowan and Millers. It doesn't mean that Rowan has left us. With Rowan and Millers both unavailable, Andy was asked to step in.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy