Club Web Forum

Match Report: Corinthian-Casuals v Hartley Wintney, FAT 1Q

Post by KOB - 10-09-2023, 12:05

Corinthian-Casuals v Hartley Wintney, FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round, Saturday 9th September 2023
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney progressed into the next round of the FA Trophy courtesy of a single second-half goal from Mason Obeng. The match was played throughout in intense heat and this provided a challenge for all the players and the officials.

The first-half was, for the main part, relatively even, but all the chances fell to the Row. Hartley should have been ahead on 14 minutes when Mason Obeng slipped Jayden Smith in behind the Casuals defence. The winger took the ball around the outrushing home 'keeper, Jordan Brown, but under-hit his shot towards goal; a backtracking defender cleared off the line.

On 20 minutes, Smith and Taylor Morgan combined to get through the home defence, but the latter shot narrowly wide of the far post from the corner of the penalty box.

The Casuals had a real let-off on 38 minutes when a corner from Reece Wylie saw a scramble near the goal line, with the ball hitting the post and Kanye Jobson unable to force the ball into the net from close range.

Three minutes later, Reece Wylie - captain in the absence of Liam Gavin due to holiday - found Elijas Bagdonavicius on the edge of the penalty area, and his well struck shot went just over.

HALF-TIME: Corinthian-Casuals 0 Hartley Wintney 0

The Casuals made a strong start in the second-half and it appeared that they had taken the lead on 49 minutes. A short free-kick on the left ended with a shot-come-cross going across goal to Michael Samson, who converted with his head from close range. It seemed initially that the goal had been awarded. However, after discussion between referee Paul Stratton and his assistant, the goal was ruled out for offside.

The home side had a good spell of pressure and on 52 minutes Francis Quarm managed to get on the end of a right-wing cross but headed wide.

Hartley opened the scoring on 54 minutes. George Wallace made good progress down the left-wing and his low cross eluded the centre-back and 'keeper Brown and found its way to MASON OBENG at the back post to score from close range. (0-1)

With the heat taking its toll on the players, chances started to come frequently. The Casuals 'keeper, Jordan Brown, who had a good game, was forced into a number of smart saves.

On 61 minutes, Row striker Taylor Morgan managed to get through and round Brown. However, the striker delayed his shot and Brown recovered his ground to save. A minute later, Jayden Smith was through but Brown came out quickly to save. In another minute, Row fullback Ashley Akpan made a good run down the right-wing and his powerful shot brought out another good save from Brown.

On 68 minutes, a good move saw Morgan find Jayden Smith, his effort bringing out another good save from Brown. The action was almost one-way at this stage and, two minutes later, Akpan again joined the attack and his well struck shot was yet again saved by Brown.

The Casuals threw players forward to try to find the equaliser. A scramble in the Row penalty area ended with Quarm seeing his shot saved by Callum Coulter in the Hartley goal.

On 74 minutes, Taylor played in Bagdonavicius. He struck a low, fierce shot but again Brown was down quickly to pull off another fine save.

Despite the many chances for the visitors, two minutes later and it could have been 1-1. A misplaced kick out from Coulter went to Cascoe-Rogers, but the Row stopper atoned for his error by coming out and saving well. And as the game moved into the final ten minutes, an excellent cross from the left by Cascoe-Rogers found Quarm coming in like a train, but he headed over on 83 minutes when a goal seemed inevitable. It was to be the last real opportunity for the Casuals.

In added time, Row substitute, Omreiki Myles, had a good chance, but once again Brown was out to deny the Hartley youngster.

For the home side, goalkeeper Jordan Brown had an outstanding match and scarcely deserved to be on the losing side. For Hartley a welcomed clean sheet but a game where there should have been no nervous moments. Despite Brown's heroics, Hartley should have had the match sealed well before the end, having had an extraordinary number of shots but just the one goal. Best for Hartley were George Wallace, Kanye Jobson, Taylor Morgan and man of the match, Reece Wylie. [D Graham]

FULL-TIME: Corinthian-Casuals 0 Hartley Wintney 1

CORINTHIAN-CASUALS: Jordan Brown, Jordan Brooks, Travis Prescott, Francis Quarm, Michael Samson, Dquame Copeland, Ayman Dahdouh, Ayo Majekodunmi, Elijah Simpson, Zayn Bux, Shea Cascoe-Rogers.
Subs: Nathaniel Williams (on), J.J.Evans, Fabrice Mbola, Sean Agun (on), Tyreese Heslop

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Callum Coulter, Ashley Akpan, George Wallace, Marcio Neves, Kanye Jobson, Courtney Fearne, Jayden Smith, Mason Obeng, Taylor Morgan, Elijas Bagdonavicius, Reece Wylie (c)
Subs: Omreiki Myles (on), Cameron Pooni (on), Aaron Gardiner, Isaiah Blankendal (on), Killian Barrett (g/k)

Attendance: 188
Entertainment value 3/5
Hartley Man of the Match: REECE WYLIE

David spoke with Interim First Team Manager, Andy Hunt, after the game.
"I felt we played well and I'm very pleased with the result. We were on top for the most part, but you always get concerned while the score remains 1-0. The defenders played well today, as a unit, and I felt there was definite improvement in defence, but also with some of our attacking play. It's evident that our younger players are developing week on week; it is progression.

"Delighted, of course, to keep a clean sheet, and pleased to be in the next round of the FA Trophy."
  • KOB

    10-09-2023, 12:46

    Good to get the win, and full marks to both sets of players for providing a good game of football in what must have been exhausting conditions.

    As for our game, it was a mixed bag: good approach play and we tore through them at times, but we all know we should have been out of sight way before the end. Top marks to Jordan Brown in Casuals' goal, but we have to be more clinical when it comes to our finishing. It could have cost us dearly, but the late header was missed. Sigh of relief all round.

    Cannot fault the effort, that's for sure. Taylor put in a huge shift up front, winning balls in the air against the big, jolting centre-backs, holding the ball up well, good passing, and showing a great turn of speed for a big guy. I've sometimes felt that ex-pros coming to our level can sometimes 'take it easy' in games, but that certainly wasn't the case with Taylor yesterday. He played as if he was on a debut! Clearly someone who just enjoys playing, which is great to see.

    Els (Elijas) did a huge amount, especially first-half, not just going forward but in getting back to help the midfield - really good stuff. And I was impressed by the debutant, Marcio Neves, who came to us this week on a dual registration from Basingstoke Town. Seems he's not had a lot of competitive football this season, so he came off in the second-half, but he showed some very nice skills and held and used the ball well. In defence, I think we knew what CJ would bring us - he looks likely to be influential for us.

    But most of all yesterday, I have to 'tip the hat' to Reece, captain on the day. What he did was so important to getting the win. Not really anything eye-catching in terms of individual moments, but he worked so hard in midfield throughout the match to break up their play and get us going. Seasoned supporters will remember Joe Paris - we called him 'the rash' because he was all over the opposition players, and that was Reece yesterday. That takes some doing at the best of times, but in that heat, phenomenal stamina. And he still had the strength to lead the team in recognising the Hartley supporters at the end. Well done Capitano.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy