Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Epsom & Ewell

Post by KOB - 11-12-2016, 10:18

Saturday 10th December ‘16
Combined Counties League - Premier Division
Report by David Graham

Hartley maintained their twelve point lead at the top of the Combined Counties League following an eventful match against a strong Epsom & Ewell side.
It was the visitors who had the first shot on target after 12 minutes. Robert Hendrey created space on the edge of the Row box and his effort brought a comfortable save from keeper Paul Strudley. The Salts continued to probe and on 15 minutes took the lead. A good move down the left saw a cross to Matt Farrell whose shot took a deflection and found the net. (0-1)

Hartley’s response came a minute later with a run and cross from Steven Duff into the centre. A clever flick from Shane Hollamby allowed Sam Argent a shot which brought a good save with his foot by Michael Eacott in the Epsom goal.

The visitors had a chance on 20 minutes after good play down the right between Matt Fernando and Jordan Gallagher; the cross from the latter headed over by striker Robert Hendrey.

The Row applied pressure, and good set up play from Jack French allowed a shot from Shane Hollamby which brought a spectacular save from Michael Eacott in the visitors' goal, diving to his left.

A pivotal moment in the match arrived on 25 minutes. Salts' full back, Matt Tanton, mis-timed a tackle. Referee Andrew Bennett produced a yellow card after speaking to his assistant and, being Tanton’s second yellow, he received a further red card and left the Salts with 10 men.
From the resultant free kick it was ‘boom time 1’ . Steven ‘Cannonball’ Duff thundered the free kick into the net from 25 yards with Eacott helpless in goal. (1-1)

Despite the man disadvantage it was Epsom who provided the next shot when Robert Hendrey fashioned a chance, but his shot brought a comfortable save from Paul Strudley.
Hendrey was again out of luck on the stroke of half time. A free kick into the Hartley box was only partially cleared. The ball fell to Hendrey whose shot from 18 yards crashed off the left hand post with Strudley beaten
HALF TIME: Hartley Wintney 1 Epsom & Ewell 1

Hartley wasted no time in trying to make the extra man count and on 48 minutes took the lead with ‘boom time 2’. Another Steven ‘Cannonball’ Duff shot from 30 yards crashed into the top of the net with keeper Eacott unable to get near to the ball. (2-1)

On 59 minutes the Row made the points safe. Steve Noakes sent an accurate cross in from the left which saw Sam Argent head home from 15 yards. (3-1)

The Salts looked dangerous on the break and on 66 minutes Ali Dewar made space on the left, his pass found Hendrey in the box and the striker's shot brought out a good save from Paul Strudley.
At the other end Hartley were claiming a penalty when Sam Argent got on the end of a good pass from Adam New. Before the striker could shoot he appeared to be fouled. However, referee Bennett waved away the appeals.
A minute later, clever play from Sam Argent set up the returning Dean Stow but the substitute's shot went just past the post. On 82 minutes Ian Jones tried his luck from 25 yards and his shot brought a good save from Eacott. The keeper was again called into action in the last minute when he saved a free kick from Dean Stow.
A good match memorable for two spectacular free kicks.

Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy