Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley v Farnham Town

Post by KOB - 02-01-2017, 19:51

Monday 2nd January ‘17
Combined Counties League - Premier Division
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney drew another big crowd for the second local Bank holiday derby, this time against Farnham Town, and the home side were quickly on top, with the first chance coming on 8 minutes. A corner on the left by Luke Perkins found the head of Liam Eagle, but the central defender headed wide.

Farnham responded and on 11 minutes went close to scoring. Elliot Cardona made space on the left wing and his cross saw an effort from Jack Dillon go close.

On 14 minutes another corner from Perkins found Sam Argent and his effort brought out a good save from Farnham keeper Aaron Holt. Five minutes later, with Hartley well on top, a good pass from Ian Jones found Jack French and the midfielder was unlucky to see his shot from 20 yards go just past the post.

Hartley piled on the pressure and on 28 minutes Steve Laidler went on a long run from midfield, beating several defenders. His parting shot brought a good save from Aaron Holt. However the opening goal was delayed by just one minute. A long ball from defence found Sam Argent, who held the ball up well. He laid the ball back to Ian Jones who sent an accurate shot into the net from just outside the box. (1-0).

The busy Farnham keeper Holt was called into action again on 34 minutes. Jack French found George Hallahan and the young striker brought a good save from the visitors' keeper. One minute later a Luke Perkins corner saw Liam Eagle head just over the crossbar.
HALF TIME: Hartley Wintney 1 Farnham Town 0

Farnham started the second half well and the Row were slightly fortunate to get a free kick to help out following a high ball and adjudged foul on keeper Jake Maddock. However Hartley soon resumed where they had left off in the first half. On 48 minutes a good break from Steve Laidler saw him create a chance and his parting shot brought another good save from Holt.

On 52 minutes it was ‘pinball wizard’ in front of Farnham’s goal as Sam Argent, George Hallahan and Luke Perkins all saw close range shots blocked by heroic defence work. Then on 58 minutes George Hallahan fashioned a chance for himself and, having seen his first effort blocked, his follow up went just over the crossbar. One minute later the visitors were almost level. Hartley were unable to get the ball clear from the penalty box and Joe Clarke fired in a strong shot from the edge of the box which went just past the post.

Constant pressure from the Row on 66 minutes saw a George Hallahan shot saved by Holt and the follow up by Luke Perkins again brought a good save from Holt.

With a non stop procession of moves towards the visitors' goal, Hartley finally sealed the match on 74 minutes. Good interplay set up Dean Stow for a chance and he was unlucky to see his effort cleared off the line. The ball broke to the left wing and Sam Argent managed to create space to set up Dean Stow for a second chance and this time the full back drilled the ball low into the bottom corner. (2-0)

Five minutes from the end, Steve Laidler set up Sam Argent and the striker saw his effort again saved by Holt.
All in all a very impressive performance by Hartley. The closeness of the score reflects an amazing rear guard action by the Farnham defence, coupled by some indifferent finishing by the Row attack.
The win sees Hartley Wintney extend their lead to 16 points ahead of now second place Hanworth Villa following a surprise home defeat inflicted on Westfield by Chertsey. [D Graham]
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy