Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Knaphill

Post by KOB - 15-02-2017, 10:25

Tuesday 14th February ‘17
Aldershot Senior Cup – Quarter Final
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney progressed into their second semi final in a week with a win over Knaphill.

The Row took an early firm grip on the tie with two goals in the first six minutes. On 4 minutes Hartley were awarded a free kick on the left. With most expecting a cross, Dean Stow elected for a shot to the near post which deceived the Knappers' goalie, Alex Harris. (1-0).

Two minutes later it was two with a quality goal. Jack French sent an inch perfect pass into the path of Steven Duff on the left wing. The winger played a ball across the penalty box for the incoming Sam Argent to fire home. (2-0).

The Row were dealt a blow when Shane Hollamby left the field with a nasty looking injury. The subsequent re-shuffle saw the Row lose their early fluency. The game became very open and the Knappers created a few chances, with Robbie Kersley shooting wide after a good run from midfield. Charlie Postance also had an effort which tested Paul Strudley. Postance then had a good chance after a pass from Kersley but shot wide when well placed.

Hartley also recorded efforts from Sam Argent and Jack French which both went wide. Ross Cook created a chance for himself but his parting effort went across the face of the goal.

Good link up play between Ross Cook and Steven Duff created a chance for Sam Argent, but Harris in the Knappers goal was well positioned to save. Approaching half time, Taylor and Collins combined and the latter brought out a good save from Strudley, who tipped over the bar.
HALF TIME: Hartley Wintney 2 Knaphill 0

Hartley added a third goal on 53 minutes. Stow sent a pass down the right wing which was picked up by Sam Argent. The striker delivered an accurate cross which was headed home by Ross Cook despite the best efforts of Alex Harris to keep it out. (3-0)

On 61 minutes, a Jack French cross found Sam Argent who tried a spectacular overhead volley which went just past the post.

With the Row content to hold the lead, there was a quiet last phase of the match with Hartley in the draw for the semi finals. [D Graham]
Full Time: Hartley Wintney 3 Knaphill 0

Hartley Wintney: Paul Strudley, Louie Paget, Dec Shuttleworth, Jack French, Liam Eagle, Shane Hollamby, Steven Duff, Steve Laidler, Sam Argent, Ross Cook, Dean Stow. Subs: Jake Maddock, Marc Vockins (on for Steve Duff), Tom Walsh (on for Shane Hollamby), Adam Liddle (on for Sam Argent).

Knaphill: A.Harris, R.Cheek, J.Taylor, J.Collins, J.Doble, C.Patterson, J.Coke, R.Kersley, C.Postance, J.Watkins, E.Costy. Subs: J.Norman, B.Shelley, E.McKinley, S.Costello, C.Close.
  • KOB

    15-02-2017, 10:52

    A comfortable passage through to the semi finals, not because Knaphill made it easy in the least but the boys saw the game out well, especially in the second half. The visitors came back well after our early double, with us perhaps taking a little pressure off, and Charlie Postance should have pulled a goal back before the break, shooting wide when in a great position. Paul tipped a good shot over the bar near the end of the half too.

    That said, we created just as many chances or more, and in the second half our focus was good and we could have added several more than the one we did, but the third goal was always likely to be significant, whichever way it went. Good work from Dean and a pinpoint cross by Sam was well headed, textbook style, down into the ground from close range by Ross Cook, giving the keeper no chance - had Cookie headed it straight, the keeper might have just got some fingers on it.

    Only disappointment was seeing Shane limp off in the first half. Hoping that's not as serious as feared. His fellow centre-back to that point, Liam Eagle, won just about every big high ball at the back, with Declan - moved across from full-back in the reshuffle - winning the rest.

    Sam Argent took a crunching tackle sandwiched between two Knaphill players that made me wince - the ref consulted his assistant and clearly neither saw anything warranting more than the free-kick, which was shameful. Dean was caught probably half a dozen times during the game, one in the second half quite nasty and again no real action from the officials. The boys did well to hold their nerve and bottle their frustration. I wouldn't go so far as to say the Knaphill lads were reckless but they seemed to test for where the bar had been set and the officials obviously set their bar high; or maybe they just didn't fancy the paperwork. We could have easily lost a couple of players to serious injury. As it is Sam went off before the end which is very rare.

    Ross put in a good shift for the full ninety following his recent return, and it was good to see Adam Liddle coming on for his second outing in the first team, and again he looked totally comfortable and pretty much upto speed at that level.

    Well done boys, another semi to look forward to, but we've won nothing yet ;-)
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy