Club Web Forum

Match Report: AFC Bournemouth v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 08-03-2017, 12:22

Tuesday 7th March '17
Played at Hartley Wintney FC
Report by David Graham

In front of a good crowd in excess of 300, Hartley played the young professional footballers of the Premier Division club for a place in the Hampshire Cup Final.

Within the first few minutes it became evident that there would be a complete contrast in styles. The young Cherries stroking the ball around with consumate ease. Hartley content to defend in numbers and looking dangerous on the break.

It was Hartley who had the first effort on 14 minutes. Good interplay between Steven Duff and Louie Paget saw a pass to Ross Cook. The striker’s effort went just over the crossbar.

The Cherries had lots of possession and on 21 minutes came close to opening the scoring. Centre forward Nirral Ndjoli forced his way into the penalty box and his shot brought an excellent block from Shane Hollamby. The ball went to the right and Keelan O'Connell was unlucky to see his shot hit the outside of the post.

Hartley responded and a minute later interplay between Ross Cook and Sam Argent saw a chance for Dean Stow, whose effort went past the post.

On 29 minutes there was danger for the Row when Bournemouth were awarded a free kick on the 18 yard line. However the shot from Ndjoli went over the crossbar. The pattern of the game remained constant, with Hartley's well organised defence providing few opportunities to the young Cherries, who dominated possession.

On 33 minutes Hartley had a quick break through Luke Perkins, who fed Ross Cook. The striker found Sam Argent whose shot went past the post.

Bournemouth started the second half well and pressed constantly for the opening goal. On 55 minutes they were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty box. The shot was well struck by Jack Simpson and Paul Strudley did well to push the ball around the post.

The pressure finally paid off on 62 minutes with the Cherries taking the lead. Substitute Antonio Diaz made good progress on the right side of the Hartley penalty box and his accurate pass was converted by Gavin Kilkenny from 12 yards. (1-0)

The Row responded well and laid siege to the Cherries goal. On 66 minutes they forced three corners in quick succession. From the last one Sam Argent's overhead kick was blocked, before the ball went outside the penalty box. Steven Duff tried his luck from 20 yards and found Bournemouth keeper Gavin Stenton well positioned to save.

Hartley continued to search for the equaliser and on 79 minutes Stenton was again called into action to push a Dean Stow effort around the post. From the flag kick from Steven Duff, Shane Hollamby found space in the box but his volley went over the crossbar.

On 84 minutes Hartley's chances of recovery were dealt a blow when Ross Cook received a second yellow card followed by a red and sent from the field of play.

Despite the man disadvantage, the Row mounted a rousing finish to the match and on 90 minutes Adam New managed to force the ball through to Sam Argent. The striker, being unbalanced, tried to loop the ball over Stenton, who pulled off a good save, pawing the ball around the post. From the corner by Steven Duff, Steve Noakes rose highest but his header went narrowly over the crossbar.

A considerable amount of added time was played, during which time Louie Paget went down with serious cramp and was stretchered off.

A very brave effort by the Row against a talented team of young professional footballers. [D Graham]


AFC BOURNEMOUTH: Callum Stenton, Charlie Seaman, Ollie Harfield, Nanadi Ofoborh, Corey Jordan, Jack Simpson, Keelan O’Connell, Kyle Taylor, Nirral Ndjoli, Gavin Kilkenney, Alex Dobre.
Subs: Sam Sherring, Antonio Diaz (used), Jaiden Anthony, Dinesh Bilella.

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Paul Strudley, Louie Paget, Adam New, Dean Stow, Steve Noakes, Shane Hollamby, Steven Duff, Ian Jones, Sam Argent (capt), Ross Cook, Luke Perkins.
Subs: Marc Vockins, Tom Walsh (on for Louie Paget), Aaron Parfitt (on for Shane Hollamby), Adam Liddle (on for Luke Perkins), Jake Maddock.

Joint First Team manager Anthony Millerick shared his thoughts with us after the game:

"Obviously we're disappointed with the result, but we expected Bournemouth to have most of the ball, so we played tight and looked for chances on the counter attack, and while overall I felt they may have had more of the play, we had the better chances."

The game was entertaining throughout and Anthony agreed that "It was an interesting contrast in styles."

With the Hampshire Cup behind us, it's back to league action and a big game at the weekend. "We will now re-focus on our big match on Saturday, against second placed Westfield."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy