Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Horley Town

Post by KOB - 26-03-2017, 09:10

Saturday 25th March ‘17
Combined Counties League – Premier Division
Hartley Wintney v Horley Town
Report by David Graham

A good sized crowd of 166 arrived to see evidence of a monumental effort by the Hartley Wintney committee in carrying out improvements to meet the ground grading criteria required for the next level.

A huge effort was also put in by the Hartley team but it was not enough to prevent the first league defeat since early December 2016.

Horley had the advantage of a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch in the first half. However it was the Row who started the better and could have been three goals up in the first 12 minutes. On 4 minutes a long throw from Marc Vockins was flicked on by Liam Eagle and Shane Hollamby’s effort was saved by Horley keeper George Hyde. After 10 minutes a free kick on the right from Dean Stow found the head of Shane Hollamby, who was unlucky to see his effort hit the top of the crossbar. Two minutes later the Row again struck the frame of the goal. A long throw from Marc Vockins was flicked on by Shane Hollamby and Liam Eagle was unlucky to see his shot hit the post.

Horley opened the scoring on 24 minutes with their first effort on goal. Mark Bevan found space on the left and his accurate low cross found Kyle Hough. The striker's first effort brought out a point blank save from Paul Strudley, but he was able to score from the rebound from 5 yards out. (0-1).

On 32 minutes Jamie Hardwick found space in midfield for the visitors and his fierce shot from distance went narrowly over the crossbar.

The Row applied pressure approaching half time and on 36 minutes Tom Walsh found Steven Duff on the left. The winger's parting shot went across the face of the goal.

With wind advantage the Row wasted no time in attacking the Horley goal. After 47 minutes a long throw from Marc Vockins was flicked on by Liam Eagle to Shane Hollamby, who fired over from close range.

The visitors also looked dangerous from long throws. On 56 minutes a long throw from Ryan Brackpool saw the Hartley defence struggle to clear. Adam Pullin was able to get a good shot in which Paul Strudley did well to push around the post at full stretch.

On 65 minutes Hartley should have equalised. A Dean Stow free kick on the left found substitute Adam New. The youngster connected well but fired over at close range. Hartley continued to press and a Steven Duff free kick on the right found Shane Hollamby, who saw his effort blocked on the line.

The Row attacked non stop to the end but were unable to create a clear cut opening against a well organised and resolute Horley defence. [D Graham]

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Paul Strudley, Louie Paget, Tom Walsh, Dean Stow, Liam Eagle, Shane Hollamby, Steven Duff, Jack French, Adam Liddle, Luke Perkins, Marc Vockins
Subs: Aaron Parfitt (on for Tom Walsh), Adam New (on for Marc Vockins), Jake Maddock, Anthony Millerick, Diodas Pipero.
HORLEY TOWN: George Hyde, Scott Robson, Mark Bevan, Ryan Smith, Adam Pullin, Jack Poplett, Jamie Hardwick, Ben Herdman, Kyle Hough, Ryan Brackpool, Alex Barbary.
Subs: Harry Williams (used), Matthew Chapman, Ayden Richards.

After the game, joint Hartley first team managers Dan Brownlie and Anthony Millerick gave us their thoughts on the match.

"Today I felt there was a lack of guile and inventiveness in our approach play," said Millers, "and we provided poor quality with much of our delivery into the penalty box. This was an occasion where it was a pity that we had so many players out for one reason or another."

Sam Argent and Steve Laidler were both absent through injury, Steve Noakes and Ross Cook serving suspensions, and Ian Jones unavailable, amongst others, but Millers praised the determination of the visitors. "Horley defended stoutly and were well organised and disciplined."

A disappointed Dan Brownlie added, "No excuses, we were not at our very best, and all in all it was very disappointing, especially after the huge effort put in on the ground. A win would have made it a perfect day but it was not to be."

But Dan was in optimistic mood after the ground grading inspection visit earlier in the day. "It has still been a great day for the club."

There was another close fought game that could have decided things on the day, but Dan would not have wanted results elsewhere to have dictated how the day ended. "We understand Westfield scored three late goals to win. However we feel it is better that we win the league from our own efforts rather than rely on other results."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy