Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Walton & Hersham

Post by KOB - 23-04-2017, 08:38

Saturday 22nd April ‘17
Combined Counties League – Premier Division
Report by David Graham

For the final time this season Hartley were sportingly applauded onto the field as champions, this time by Walton & Hersham.

Walton showed the greater determination during a flat first period and had three noteworthy efforts. On 23 minutes a long shot from Elliot Simpson had Jake Maddock scrambling across his goal, but the effort went wide. Then on 40 minutes the Swans had the ball in the net when Jamil Okai converted a good cross from the right by Howard Newton. However, the referee spotted that he had used his hand to force the ball home. A minute later Elliott Simpson set TJ Nkoma free, but Jake Maddock was quickly out to block the shot.

Hartley’s first glimpse of goal came on the half time whistle when Ian Jones found Sam Argent and the striker's shot went past the post.

During the course of a below par half for the Row they also had the misfortune to lose Shane Hollamby and Louie Paget; both players helped off with nasty looking injuries.

Hartley improved at the start of the second half and on 58 minutes scored a good goal. Sam Argent on the right sent an accurate cross to Jack French. The midfielder controlled and sent in a fierce shot which Liam Breach, the Swans' goalie, somehow managed to save. However, his attempted recovery clearance cannoned off the inrushing Adam Liddle and into the net (1-0).

Walton came back into the game as the half progressed and equalised on 74 minutes. Good play on the left between Nathan Gordon and Howard Newton saw a cross which found Lee Van Sullivan, whose effort hit the post. Sean White, following up, converted the rebound (1-1).

On 78 minutes Walton had a good chance when Jamil Okai; looking well offside; got free down the middle, but Jake Maddock came out on top in the ensuing one and one dual.

Hartley responded and almost took the lead on 83 minutes. A good cross from the right by Dean Stow was headed back across goal by Adam Liddle. Sam Argent tried an audacious and spectacular overhead kick which brought out a good save from keeper Liam Breach. Two minutes later, a long throw from Marc Vockins was only partly cleared and Dean Stow’s fierce shot was well saved by Breach.

Both sides tried to score a winner in the final minutes, with Walton forcing two late corners. Almost on the final whistle, Sam Argent was pulled down in the penalty box but referee Louis Pinto Nunes waved away the appeals.

So the curtain came down on another astonishing season for Hartley Wintney and their time in the Combined Counties League. The club are still trying to arrange a semi final match at Farnham in the Aldershot Cup. [D Graham]

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Jake Maddock, Tom Walsh, Louie Paget, Liam Eagle, Julian Sills, Ian Jones, Marc Vockins, Jack French, Sam Argent, Shane Hollamby and Dean Stow.
Subs: Charlie Bath (for Louie Paget), Charlie Lacey (for Marc Vockins), Adam Liddle (for Shane Hollamby), Steve Noakes, Adam New

WALTON & HERSHAM: Liam Breach, Corey Heywood-Royce, Nathan Gordon, Jake Newton, Lee Van Sullivan, Louis Taylor, Jordan Wisdom-Muir, Elliott Simpson, Jamil Okai, Howard Newton, TJ Nokoma.
Subs: Sean White (used), Jamie Thoroughgood, Seb Castello, Camil Gyeabor, Matt Rose-Hazel.
  • KOB

    23-04-2017, 09:33

    A good end-of-season performance from the lads bearing in mind there was little on the result apart from pride, having lost the reverse fixture, and Walton & Hersham played with a huge amount of pride and commitment for reasons I'll explain in a separate post for those not already aware. The depth of our squad was again tested, particularly following the nasty looking first-half injuries to Shane and Louie; I'm inclined to think the only team that benefited from yesterday's game is our Aldershot Cup semi-final opponents, Farnham Town. I'll dust me boots off, Dan and Millers, just in case :-)

    Brilliant story and gesture that saw Charlie Lacey make his first team debut late on. Charlie is a member of the A Team squad but has also contributed hugely as a member of the two-man team who prepare the main pitch. Coming on yesterday was fulfilling a longstanding promise as a reward for his dedication and hard work. And he almost made the difference, being fed with a pass down the right wing, he took the ball on at pace and sent in a cross... which the keeper comfortably handled, but it could so easily have been an inspired late substitution!

    Once again I thought Adam Liddle was excellent when he came on for Shane. Love the way he plays, getting across defenders - he's not the biggest and, given his age, can't yet be the strongest, but he was up against some big strong Walton & Hersham players and gave as good as he got. He lets defenders know they're in a game, just by putting himself in there without fear. And he doesn't give up on things, which is why he was closing down fast when the keeper's clearance cannoned off him and into the net. That wasn't just luck, that all came from being there, putting pressure on them. A very well deserved goal, even if it wasn't the most spectacular one he'll score.

    Great to see Charlie Bath get more game time - his confidence to talk out there and encourage those around him was top class. I am quite sure that the club and young players of the quality of Charlie Bath owe a great deal to the guidance and motivation of Eric Howard... but I want to say more about Eric separately as we thank him now he is stepping down as Reserve Team manager.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy