Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Northwood

Post by KOB - 13-08-2017, 07:53

Saturday 12th August '17
Report by David Graham

It was another red letter day for Hartley Wintney Football Club as they played their first match in the Southern League. This is the highest quality league the club has played at in its history.

It took just 56 seconds for Hartley to show real quality when they took the lead. Dean Stow made good progress down the right flank and sent over an accurate cross to Sam Argent. The striker chested down straight into the path of Paul Hodges, who scored with a stunning volley from just inside the box. (1-0).

Northwood responded and on 7 minutes a long throw found Lewis Hobbs in the penalty box. The midfielder was unable to keep his shot down.

On 16 minutes, Paul Hodges went on a long run from midfield and his parting shot was just past the post. And Hartley almost increased the lead on 31 minutes when a cross from Dean Stow found the head of Adam Everiss who brought out a good save from Harry Voss in the Northwood goal.

The Row continued to create chances and on 35 minutes a good cross from Ben Greenwood was headed just over by Sam Argent. However, the second goal was delayed by just 4 minutes. Paul Hodges did well to create space on the right side of the penalty box and his low cross found Dean Stow, who in turn found Sam Argent and the Hartley captain fired home from 10 yards. (2-0).

On 44 minutes Northwood had a chance when loose play in midfield by the Row allowed an opportunity for Harry Newman, but he shot wide.
Half Time: Hartley Wintney 2 Northwood 0

Northwood came more into the game after the break but it was Hartley who almost scored a third on 51 minutes. Good link up play between Paul Hodges and Adam Everiss allowed a chance for Sam Argent, who shot over.

The visitors had a period of possession but were unable to fashion a chance. However, on 63 minutes, Meshaach Williams and Antonio Walker combined to present a chance to Tayshanhay Haden-Williams, who fired over from the edge of the box.

The Row had a good chance to seal the game on 71 minutes when Paul Hodges sent Jack French through but the substitute shot wide.

On 83 minutes Hartley were awarded a free kick some 25 yards out and Dean Stow was unlucky to see his effort crash back off the post. Almost immediately, Meshach Williams found Michael Osei well placed for the visitors but the winger shot wide. A minute later, Hartley had a real let off when a cross from Harry Newman found full back Pat Kelly at the back post and his header crashed off the post.

The Row had chances in the final two minutes. First Jack French set up Paul Hodges, whose shot from the edge of the box brought out a good save from Harry Voss. Then Jack French was again the provider to James Tennant, who was unlucky to see his effort go just past the post. [D Graham]
Full Time: Hartley Wintney 2 Northwood 0

Hartley Wintney: Jake Maddock, Callum Eagle, Ben Greenwood, Joe Paris, Adam New, Liam Eagle, Dean Stow, Ian Jones, Sam Argent (capt), Paul Hodges, Adam Everiss. Subs: Tom Walsh, Aaron Parfitt, James Tennant (for Dean Stow on 85), Louie Paget (for Paul Hodges on 90), Jack French (for Adam Everiss on 70).
Supporters Man of the Match: Paul Hodges.

David spoke with joint first team manager, Anthony Millerick, after the game.
"I believe this is a new era for the club," said Millers. "Over the past few seasons we have seen great forward play from Sam Argent and Ross Cook. We may well see a similar partnership develop between Sam Argent and Paul Hodges.
"We were very pleased with the performances of the new players. I thought, in the second half, we were dogged and gritty, which is what we needed to be against a useful Northwood side. However at times we looked a bit tentative, but we must be satisfied. It was a good debut to the league, with a clean sheet and two good goals. We believe there is a lot more to come from our team."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy