Club Web Forum

Match Report: FA Cup, Brockenhurst v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 19-08-2017, 19:39

The Emirates FA Cup, Preliminary Round
Saturday 19th August 2017
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney progressed into the next round of the Emirates FA Cup, but only after a really good first half display from the home side.

The tie brought together the free scoring Badgers against Hartley, who are also not usually short of a few goals. After a quiet opening, it was the Row who had the first chance when Sam Argent and Adam Everiss combined to set up Steven Duff, who shot over.

The home side responded and had a good spell, with centre-forward Mitchell Speechley-Price causing problems with his pace. First, on 14 minutes, he set up Matt Sheedy who shot wide, and on 18 minutes the same pair combined, with Sheedy again shooting wide. Two minutes later, Speechley-Price was again in the action when he set up Mark Barker, who shot straight at Paul Strudley in the Hartley goal.

Against the run of play the Row took the lead on 22 minutes. A left wing cross from Adam Everiss was handled in the penalty box by Matt Burt, who was booked. Sam Argent scored from the penalty with a low shot (0-1).

Hartley could have increased the lead a minute later when a long free kick was headed on by Argent into the path of Liam Eagle. The central defender saw his shot produce a good save from keeper Matt Taylor.

The Badgers responded well, and on 32 minutes a shot from Will Tickle brought out a good save from Strudley. Then, five minutes before the break, the home side deservedly pulled level. From a corner on the right, referee Adam Baker spotted a tug on a home player's shirt by Adam New, and Will Tickle converted the resulting penalty kick (1-1).

On the stroke of half time, Sam Argent created space on the right and his cross was headed over by Steven Duff.
Half Time: Brockenhurst 1 Hartley Wintney 1

Hartley took control of the game from the start of the second half and it was no surprise when they regained the lead on 50 minutes. A left wing corner from Dean Stow found Sam Argent, who headed home (1-2).

Two minutes later, the home side almost pulled level when Matt Burt got on the end of a Tickle free kick but headed just past. Three minutes later and the Badgers' chances evaporated when Burt was sent off for a second yellow card offence, following a foul on Paul Hodges.

Hartley piled on the pressure and on 58 minutes an Argent cross was headed over by Adam New. However, the third goal was delayed by just four minutes, when Liam Eagle powered in a header off the underside of the crossbar from a Dean Stow corner (1-3).

In two further minutes the Row brought up goal number four. A free kick some 25 yards out from Dean Stow found the corner of the net (1-4).

The remainder of the match saw Hartley pepper the home goal, but they added just one more goal. On 83 minutes, substitute James Tennant cut in from the right and fired an unstoppable left foot shot into the roof of the net (1-5). [D Graham]
Full Time: Brockenhurst 1 Hartley Wintney 5

Matt Taylor, Tommy Barnes, Ben Kelly, Matt Burt (capt), Greg King, Cassius Newton, Will Tickle, Jude Nwachukwu, Mitchell Speechley-Price, Matt Sheedy, Mark Barker. Subs: Ronan Moore, Matt Casey, Aaron Dunne, Taylor Leonard, Noel McCarthy-Gardiner, Ed Kitcher (GK)

Hartley Wintney:
Paul Strudley, Callum Eagle, Ben Greenwood, Adam New, Liam Eagle, Dean Stow, Jack French, Adam Everiss, Sam Argent (capt), Paul Hodges, Steven Duff.
Subs: Luke Perkins, James Tennant, Jayden Englefield, Louie Paget, Aaron Parfitt

Match Stats: Brockenhurst/Hartley
GOALS 1 - 5
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy