Club Web Forum

Match Report: Marlow v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 29-08-2017, 08:27

Monday 28th August 2017
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney’s winning start to the season came to an end after defeat at Marlow’s Alfred Davies Memorial ground. The home side dominated most of the match and ran out deserved winners.

Marlow started well and produced the first shot on 4 minutes when an Issac Osei-Tutu effort from the edge of the box found Paul Strudley well positioned to save. The home side continued to press and a free kick on the right wing by Charlie Samuel found Calum Gallimore, whose effort produced a good stop again from Paul Strudley.

However, the pressure finally told on 12 minutes following another free kick on the right side of the penalty box. The Row were unable to get the ball clear and, after two shots from the edge of the box were blocked, the ball finally came to Allen Bossman. The winger took aim and curled a delightful shot into the top corner of the net (1-0).

Marlow continued to press and on 17 minutes a corner from Allen Bossman found Calum Gallimore, who saw his effort well saved by Paul Strudley.

Hartley came into the game but were caught out by a breakaway on 30 minutes which resulted in a second Marlow goal. A long clearance found Issac Osei-Tutu on the left and the winger used his pace to good effect. After he cut in to the penalty area, he was hauled down by Adam New and referee Matthew Russell pointed to the spot. Chris Ovenden took the kick and sent Paul Strudley the wrong way (2-0).

On 37 minutes, the Row finally recorded their first real effort when Sam Argent found space after good work by Luke Perkins. However, the striker’s effort went over the bar.

The home side responded and an excellent effort from Allen Bossman, similar to his goal, brought an outstanding save from Paul Strudley.
Half Time: Marlow 2 Hartley Wintney 0

It seemed that Hartley had received a pep talk from their managers, as they started the second half with more purpose. Early in the second half, Steve Noakes and Ben Greenwood came on as substitutes; this enabled Adam New to be pushed up front in an effort to get Hartley into the game. The Row did begin to have a greater share of the match, but were unable to muster a worthwhile effort towards Marlow's keeper, Simon Grant.

The visitors' frustration saw a coming together between players on 67 minutes. The grievance was blatant time-wasting by keeper Grant, on several occasions, which went unpunished by referee Matthew Russell. Once the dust had settled, it was the home side who produced the next effort on 68 minutes. Allen Bossman sent in a good cross from the right and Issac Osei-Tutu looked certain to score from point blank range when, from nowhere, Paul Strudley prevented the ball crossing the line.

Hartley pressed and on 76 minutes Liam Eagle created space for Aaron Parfitt; the substitute’s effort drifted over the bar.

Parfitt was in action again 5 minutes later when his cross from the left wing found Adam New, who saw his shot go wide of the post.

The Row’s miserable day was completed by conceding a soft goal on 86 minutes. Simon Grant took a long goal kick. The Hartley back four left the ball, seemingly unaware that Marlow substitute, Jordace Holder-Spooner, was behind them. Paul Strudley came dashing out in a race with Holder-Spooner which he lost, and the Marlow player was able to shoot into an empty net.

There was just one more effort of note, in added time, when Holder-Spooner crossed from the left and found Jay Welch, who fired past when well placed. [D Graham]
Full Time Marlow 3 Hartley Wintney 0

Marlow: Simon Grant, Curtis Chappel, Ryan Parsons, Chris Ovenden, Callum Gallimore, Jordan Lee-Brown, Allen Bossman, Richard Witt, Jordan Brown, Charlie Samuel, Issac Osei-Tutu
Subs: Dan Bailey, Jay Welch, Jordace Holder-Spooner, Charlie Bull, Josh Francis, Ed Kitcher (GK)

Hartley Wintney: Paul Strudley, Callum Eagle, Louie Paget, Dean Stow, Adam New, Liam Eagle, Luke Perkins, Ian Jones, Sam Argent, Jack French, James Tennant.
Subs: Aaron Parfitt, Joe Paris, Ben Greenwood, Steve Noakes

David spoke with a disappointed joint Hartley manager, Anthony Millerick, after the game.

"Marlow were worthy winners but we could and should have done better against their direct play," Millers commented. "We are still making adjustments to the Step 5 level and will continue to learn. All in all, we were well and truly off form and it is difficult finding many positives."

But Millers finished on a more upbeat note. "However, if anyone had offered us four wins in our first five matches at the beginning of the season, we would gladly have taken it!"

Next up is a huge local derby in the Emirates FA Cup away at near neighbours Basingstoke Town, who have hit form in recent games, winning 8-0 at Gosport Borough in the Premier Division on Monday. The Row will need to be at their very best and could make it a close contest if they are; but if they play like they did at Marlow then the visitors could ship a few goals. It will be an interesting early September afternoon next Saturday, with a good crowd expected.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy