Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley v Basingstoke Town, FA Cup

Post by KOB - 06-09-2017, 09:43

Tuesday 5th September ‘17
The Emirates FA Cup – 1st Round Qualifying, Replay
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney claimed the local football bragging rights and a trip to Cinderford Town in the next round of the FA Cup. A bumper crowd of 620 turned up to see a very close match, which was ultimately decided by a penalty kick scored by former Town striker, Sam Argent.

It was Basingstoke who started the better and forced the first corner after 4 minutes. From the kick a chance was created for Charlie Kennedy, who saw his shot charged down on the edge of the box.

Hartley responded and on 10 minutes a cross from Adam Everiss was almost converted by Sam Argent. A minute later, a powerful shot from 20 yards by Steven Duff produced a good stop from Colm McAdden in the ‘stoke goal.

In the early stages, like on Saturday, Sam Smart's trickery and pace caused the Row defence problems. On 17 minutes a shot from distance by the young striker found Paul Strudley well positioned to save. Basingstoke gained a slight edge, and two minutes later Ben Wright headed over a cross by Michael Atkinson. On 23 minutes the same pair combined and an off balance Wright headed high and wide.

Hartley had a good spell approaching the half hour. On 29 minutes a long free kick from Dean Stow on the right found the head of Steve Noakes, who saw his effort pushed past the post. From the resulting corner, Liam Eagle saw his effort saved by McAdden.

The last chance of the half saw Ben Wright out-muscle Steve Noakes and go clear of the Hartley defence. However, his effort found Strudley well positioned to save.
HALF TIME: Hartley Wintney 0 Basingstoke Town 0

As in the first half, it was ‘stoke who started the better and Paul Strudley was quickly called into action to cut out a dangerous cross. Hartley responded and on 50 minutes a snap shot from Jack French went narrowly past the post. Play went down to the other end and Tom Wohifel tried a shot which found Strudley well placed to save.

The Row had a good spell approaching the hour mark and made the decisive breakthrough. On 57 minutes, Paul Hodges burst into the penalty box before being upended. A strong penalty appeal from the Hartley crowd was waved away, but almost immediately, referee Sunny Gill was pointing to the penalty spot after Sam Argent was brought down. Argent stepped up and scored with a strong shot. (1-0)

‘Stoke responded well and on 74 minutes a well worked free kick on the left saw a good shot from Ben Wright pushed around the post by Strudley. A few minutes later, Marcus Johnson-Schuster combined with Sam Deadfield, but the former’s finishing effort was well wide.

For the remainder of the match, Basingstoke attacked but were unable to make any impression on a resolute Hartley defence. In the final stages, the added time board of 7 minutes left the Row followers with frayed nerves. However, the final whistle saw much joy for the local villagers following a memorable victory. [D Graham]
Full Time: Hartley Wintney 1 Basingstoke Town 0

A very close match in front of a big crowd. Basingstoke had slightly more of the play but Hartley, with Sam Argent and Paul Hodges, were always likely to convert a chance. After the match, David spoke with both Hartley managers, who were understandably delighted and gave the following comments:
"The one word I would use to describe our performance tonight was togetherness," said Daniel Brownlie. "It was a great squad as well as team effort. This togetherness has been growing since the start of the season and this squad should stand us in good stead as we move forward."
Daniel added, "Although we were underdogs we felt we had a real chance as we obviously know, being locals, a lot about the Basingstoke team."

Anthony Millerick said "We knew it would be a tight match after Saturday and so it turned out to be. We knew that we had to be defensively solid, and obviously we hoped for a bit of luck.
"On the back of the success over the past few seasons we have a winning mentality, and it seems to come to the fore in close matches. With strikers like Sam Argent and Paul Hodges, we feel that we are always likely to score."

Both managers echoed the same feeling, that they expected many local people will say the result came about because Basingstoke played badly. "We would like them to acknowledge that Hartley Wintney played well."

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Paul Strudley, Adam New, Dean Stow, Joe Paris, Steve Noakes, Liam Eagle, Steven Duff, Jack French, Sam Argent, Paul Hodges, Adam Everiss.
Subs: Tom Walsh, Aaron Parfitt, Louie Paget, Luke Perkins, James Tennant, Jayden Englefield, Ian Jones.

BASINGSTOKE TOWN: Colm McAdden, Marcus Johnson-Schuster, Tim Wohlfiel, Dan Collier, Charlie Kennedy, Dan Bayliss, Michael Atkinson, Jack McKnight, Sam Smart, Ben Wright, Ashleigh Artwell.
Subs: Charlie Bennett, Aaron Holt, Sam Deadfield, Will Shaw, Kieron Rodgers.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy