Club Web Forum

Match Report: Arlesey Town v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 01-10-2017, 10:53

Saturday 30th September ‘17
Evo-Stik South League - East Division
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney came from behind to secure an emphatic win over lowly Arlesey Town. The win means that the Row now join Moneyfields on points and goal difference at the top of the league. The Portsmouth based outfit remain top by virtue of scoring one goal more.

Hartley were soon on the attack and, following a long throw from Callum Eagle on 2 minutes, James Tennant shot narrowly past after good interplay at the edge of the penalty box. The Row remained on the offensive and on 8 minutes Jake Baxter and James Tennant combined well to set up Sam Argent, who fired narrowly past the post.

The home side's first effort came after 16 minutes when a long goal kick from 'keeper Dion Gibbs went behind the Hartley defence, leaving the pacey striker Yemi Adelani with a clear run in on goal. The Row’s debutant ‘keeper, Frederick Gee, pulled off a good save.

The Row resumed on the attack and on 21 minutes a short corner on the right led to a Paul Hodges shot which was deflected over. One minute later, the Blues took the lead.

Good interplay between Yemi Adelani and Kim Forsythe led to the latter having a free run in on goal. The striker calmly rounded 'keeper Gee and stroked the ball into the empty net (1-0).

The Hartley response was virtually immediate. Paul Hodges ran at the right side with pace and was upended in the penalty area by Kye Andrews. Sam Argent took the kick and scored with a strong drive. (1-1)

Things got better for the Row two minutes later when a long throw from Steve Noakes was not properly cleared by the Arlesey defence. The ball fell to Jake Baxter who fired home from 10 yards (1-2).

On 29 minutes, a strong run from Josh Webb saw his low cross just missed by Sam Argent. The home side responded, and good work between Adelani and Forsythe four minutes later saw Gee produce a smart save from the former.

The home side remained on the front foot and had a chance when Gee rushed out of his area to clear. The ball arrived at Elias Moses, whose lob from distance was just kept out by the rapidly backtracking Row keeper.

The Row increased their lead on 37 minutes following a darting run from Paul Hodges. The striker set up James Tennant, who fired low into the net from the edge of the box (1-3).

On the stroke of half time, the Blues keeper made an astonishing save when he pushed over a fierce shot from Liam Eagle, who had been set up by Steve Noakes.
Half Time: Arlesey Town 1 Hartley Wintney 3

In the second half, Hartley quickly got on top and looked to increase the lead. On 54 minutes, a good run from Paul Hodges culminated in a pass to Jake Baxter who saw his effort blocked. The resulting short corner was deflected out for a second corner. The accurate flag kick from Tennant found Liam Eagle, who powered his header in for number four (1-4).

The Row remained in command and on 67 minutes a long pass from Josh Webb found Jake Baxter, who linked up with Sam Argent. The Row skipper ran on and fired home (1-5).

The beleaguered home defence did well to keep the score down but conceded a sixth on 76 minutes. An amazing bout of passing across the pitch between five Row players ultimately saw Sam Argent feed Paul Hodges, who made no mistake from 18 yards (1-6).

Hartley went close to adding more but the Blues replied with an effort on 88 minutes following a rare defensive lapse. Kye Andrews saw his effort well saved by Gee. [D Graham]
Full time: Arlesey Town 1 Hartley Wintney 6

Arlesey Town: Dion Gibbs, Bill Plumpton, Many N’Daw, Hamilton Bunga, Joe Steele, Ashley Farooqui, Elias Moses, Rafe Goodman, Yemi Adelani, Kim Forsythe, Kye Andrews.
Subs: Taz Andrews, Fabien Brown-Johnson, Harlem Sambu, Phil Payne, Craig Packham.

Hartley Wintney: Frederick Gee, Callum Eagle, Steven Duff, Liam Eagle, Joshua Webb, Steve Noakes, James Tennant, Jack French, Sam Argent, Paul Hodges, Jake Baxter.
Subs: Aaron Parfitt, Joe Paris, Jack Dansie

It was a slightly unusual line-up forced on the managers. After the game, David asked Hartley's joint first team manager, Anthony Millerick, for his views on the match.
"We are always likely to score goals and felt confident even when we went behind," Millers told him. "The team played good football today which was pleasing to watch.
"Great credit to Frederick Gee for stepping in at short notice and playing so well," Millers added, "and we're always delighted to see one of our youngsters making his debut, and Jack Dansie did well.
"What can you say about Steve Duff!?" he added with a broad smile, "Forced into playing left full back, he looked as though he had played there for his entire football career.
"As co-managers, this was one of the easiest games we have ever had to manage. The players did everything you would have expected from them. We made a little tweek at half time only."

    01-10-2017, 20:53

    UnfortUnately I missed in the rout which was inevitably going to happen when playing witch three forwards always Inter-changing positions as we saw glimpses of midweek against egham when we failed to take our chances, but it seems today they were on fire supported by the whole team and put in a superb performance. Well done lads.
    UP THE ROW!!
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy