Club Web Forum

Match Report: Bedford Town v Hartley Wintney

Post by KOB - 18-10-2017, 09:09

Tuesday 17th October ‘17
Evo-Stik South League – East Division
Report by David Graham

Hartley stretched their unbeaten run to 8 matches with a hard earned draw at Bedford Town. The Row welcomed back Liam and Callum Eagle but still had a number of players out through injury.

Both sides probed in the early part of the game and the first chance fell to the home side on 10 minutes. David Manu made good progress down the left and his cross found the head of Dom Morgillo, who brought a good save out of Paul Strudley in the Hartley goal.

On 12 minutes the Row went ahead. A left wing corner found the head of Liam Eagle who bulleted in a header, appropriately against the Eagles at the Eyrie ground. (0-1).

Soon after, Manu was again a provider, setting up a good chance for Andrew Phillips who was thwarted by a smart stop from Strudley.

After 34 minutes, an accurate, long, cross field pass from Dean Stow found Adam Everiss and the winger's effort went straight to home 'keeper Kyle Forster. A minute later, a long punt from the Eagles defence found the Row defence square and leaving Phillips a clear run on goal. The striker shot wildly past the post.

A rare mistake by the Hartley defence on 44 minutes again allowed Phillips a clear chance, but Paul Strudley came to the Row’s rescue with a good save. In added time, Eagles full back Paul Cooper burst through after an overlap run, but shot past the post.

Bedford were quickly on top at the start of the second half and laid siege to the Hartley goal. On 54 minutes, Ryan Auger did well to set up David Manu, but the winger's parting effort went wide.

The Eagles continued to dominate and deservedly pulled level on 62 minutes. David Manu tried a speculative shot from 25 yards which appeared to take a deflection, completely wrong footing Strudley. (1-1)

Three minutes later, Bedford almost went ahead when a long shot from Josh Obiyo went just wide. Hartley had to wait until the 65th minute to register their first effort of the half. Jake Baxter fed Paul Hodges in with a chance, but Forster came out quickly to parry the shot. Five minutes later, the Eagles almost went ahead when a low driven corner by Ryan Auger found Jermaine McKenzie-Lowe, who shot just past the post.

Hartley weathered the storm and for the final quarter of an hour pressed forward with a series of long throws and free kicks. Jayden Englefield came on with 10 minutes to go; looked lively and looks a real prospect.
The final whistle was sounded by referee Mr M.Gospel. With chapter and verse; easily the best referee the Row has had this season. [D Graham]

BEDFORD TOWN: Kyle Forster, Paul Cooper, Mayo Balogan, Dean Dummett, Jemale McKenzie-Lowe, Ashton Grant, Dom Morgillo, Ryan Auger, Andew Phillips, David Manu, Josh Obiyo
Subs: Dylan Gittings, George Brinkman, Peter McDonald, Omar Naseri

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Paul Strudley, Callum Eagle, Louie Paget, Dean Stow (capt), Adam New, Liam Eagle, Adam Everiss, Jack French, Josh Webb, Jake Baxter, Paul Hodges.
Subs: Joe Paris (on for Josh Webb 75'), Jayden Englefield (on for Adam Everiss 83'), Aaron Parfitt (on for Jack French 59'), James Vass.
Attendance: 125

    18-10-2017, 13:09

    After travelling, if you want to call it that, up the M3 along the slow conjested M25 and M1 in the rush hour one got to the ground after over t wo hours completedly shattered and I am sure some of the lads were too especially after a day's work, but they gave their usual fantastic 100 per cent battling commitment and came away with a very deserved point against a very useful and skillful Bedford side who played much better than their lowly league position suggests, especially their left winger who caused all sorts of problems all evening.
    We had a couple of opportunities early on to score before Liam put us ahead with a powerful header from a corner (he will soon be our leading goalscorer at this rate) before Bedford started to assert their authority and dominate midfield and it was lef to Struds to make a string of great saves that kept us in the game before they inevitably equalilsed and then went all out for the winner, but squandered the chances they had.
    Of the three subs who came on young Englefield was the pick of them and showed flashes of trickery and surely must be close to starting a game on the wing especially when the skipper was moved to the right wing and so lost his important presence in the middle. In the last quarter of an hour we again started to seize the initiative and Paul must be cursing himself for shooting straight at the keeper when through and Jake must be feeling exasperated by his final passing going astray. Oh to have a big centreforward between them to hold the ball up or win it in the air!!!! But beggars cannot be choosers we have to battle on with the limited resources at our disposal, and it was a brave effort b y the lads, but Struds has to be man of the match for keeping us in the game.
    To cap it all I suppose most of the lads did not get home until well after midnight as the M3, M4 and M40 were all closed for the night and you had to find alternative rout es back, so hats off to them and to our 10 mad supporters who made the trip --- remember still only one defeat in the league --- it cannot be bad.
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy