Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Barton Rovers

Post by KOB - 05-11-2017, 10:07

Saturday 4th November ‘17
Evo-Stik South League, East Division
Report by David Graham

On the eve of Guy Fawkes night, Hartley Wintney produced fireworks as they ran riot against a struggling Rovers team.

In front of a good crowd of 140 the Row almost got off to the perfect start on 2 minutes when the Rovers defence failed to clear their lines in the penalty box and Adam Everiss saw his effort go across the face of the goal.

On 11 minutes Hartley produced a good move down the left wing between Rowan Vine and Josh Webb which saw keeper Adam Harpur save with his feet. A minute later an astute pass from Vine set up a good chance for Jake Baxter, who fluffed his shot; better was to come from the Hartley number 9.

Two minutes later, the Rovers almost took the lead from a free kick 20 yards from goal. The well struck shot took a deflection and 'keeper Paul Strudley did well to keep it out with the help of a post.

Hartley started to dominate the midfield area and on 22 minutes Paul Hodges set up Rowan Vine, who shot wide. However, the opening goal was delayed by only three minutes. A free kick in midfield by Josh Webb found Paul Hodges in the penalty area. The Row skipper for the day beat his marker and his low cross was converted by Liam Eagle at the back post. (1-0)

Three minutes later the ever busy Rowan Vine created space for himself, but his parting shot went wide. At the other end, good work by Alex Kathline created a scoring chance which brought out a smart stop by Strudley.

Rovers had a spell of pressure and good work down the left by Brandon Carney saw his parting delivery go across the face of the goal, with no takers. A minute later, Hartley added a second goal of quality.

Good work between Vine and Webb set up a chance for Jake Baxter, who converted low into the corner to round off a good move. (2-0)

On 45 minutes, good work between Jack French and Paul Hodges saw the latter unlucky as his effort came off the crossbar, but there was still time in the first half for another goal. In stoppage time the Row added a third. An inch perfect pass from Rowan Vine sent Jake Baxter through and the striker shot past the advancing keeper. (3-0)

The Row continued where they left off in the first half and a good move involving Vine, Everiss and Baxter created a chance for Jack French, who shot narrowly wide.

On 53 minutes, the Rovers almost pulled a goal back when a snap shot from substitute Jack Hockney hit the post. Hartley’s response was immediate and they added goal number 4.

Good hold up play by Rowan Vine created a chance for Jack French, who saw his low shot find the corner of the net. (4-0)

Three minutes later, Vine was again in the thick of things as a long throw from Everiss was flicked on by Eagle and Vine was unlucky to see his header hit the post. However, the fifth goal was delayed by just one minute.

In the 58th minute, Adam Everiss created space on the left and his perfect low cross was converted at the back post by Jake Baxter. (5-0)

On 66 minutes a long throw from Adam Everiss found Rowan Vine in the box and his parting shot went narrowly past the post. Four minutes later Hartley added a sixth goal.

Following a mix up in the Rovers defence, Jake Baxter was presented with an open goal, albeit from a good 20 yards out, and the striker brought up his tally to four by rolling the ball into the empty net. (6-0)

The beleaguered Rovers held out, although with plenty of scares. On 76 minutes, a Dean Stow free kick brought out a good save from Harpur, and four minutes later Rowan Vine set up James Tennant, who saw his effort parried by Harpur and then shot the rebound past the post.

Two minutes later, Jack French was unlucky to see his shot deflected just over after being set up by Vine. However, the last word was left to the dangerous Rowan Vine on 88 minutes. A crisp move down the left involving Tennant and Everiss saw a pin-point cross from Adam Everiss which Vine met at the far post to score and cap off a fine display. [D Graham]

Hartley Wintney: Paul Strudley, Louie Paget, Steven Duff, Josh Webb, Steve Noakes, Liam Eagle, Paul Hodges, Jack French, Jake Baxter, Rowan Vine, Adam Everiss.
Subs: Adam New (for Steve Noakes), Callum Eagle, Dean Stow (for Josh Webb), James Tennant (for Jake Baxter), Luke Perkins.

Barton Rovers: Adam Harpur, Gerrardo Smalldone, Tom Peverell, Charlie Payne, Paul Andrews, George Quarrington-Cater, Andrew Phillips, Jamie Nicholls, Alex Kathline, Danny Watson, Brandon Carney.
Subs: Jack Keating, Jack Hockney, Dan Newton, Ewan Fieldhouse.

After the game, David asked joint first team manager, Anthony Millerick, for his thoughts on the match.
"What a difference two weeks makes!" a smiling Millers began, adding "It was great to see Jake get amongst the goals, and his partner Rowen Vine had a good match. The squad enjoy playing together and that shone through in today's match, there was a togetherness there once again, with the hunger and desire to do well and win.
"We were dominant from the start and the whole team, plus subs, played well."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia | rss widget @ | Online Privacy Policy