Club Web Forum

Match Report: Eastbourne Borough v Hartley Wintney, FA Trophy

Post by KOB - 24-11-2019, 10:29

Eastbourne Borough v Hartley Wintney, The Buildbase FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round, Saturday 23rd November 2019
Report by David Graham

Hartley Wintney made their exit from the FA Trophy following a defeat at Priory Lane to Conference South side Eastbourne Borough.

Inside the first two minutes the Row went behind. A long pass down the right found the pacey Greg Luer who delivered a cross in front of the goal. Nick Wheeler took a touch at the far post before firing past Luke Williams in the Hartley goal. (1-0)

With a wind advantage the Row responded well and pulled level on six minutes. A Ty Smith corner saw the Borough defence unable to clear and the ball fell to Shane Hollamby, who shot home from 10 yards. (1-1)

A minute later the Row had a chance to go in front when Adam Cornell found Mickel Platt, who shot just over the bar. Then on 9 minutes, Josh Webb had space to try a shot which was saved by Tom Hadler in the Borough goal.

The Borough had a chance on 14 minutes as play went from end to end, when Kristian Campbell burst down the left and his parting shot went just over. While two minutes later, the Row responded with a Josh Webb free kick which was blocked, the ball breaking to Platt who shot over.

On 22 minutes, the Borough came close to regaining the lead when Luer broke down the right and his cross found Charlie Walker, who was denied by good blocking by the Row defence.

Borough then had a good spell and on 28 minutes a corner on the left by Dean Cox found the head of Manny Adebowale, whose effort went narrowly wide.

Hartley came into the game towards the interval and were unlucky not to take the lead on 39 minutes. Louie Paget found a pass to Josh Webb who shot from 25 yards and the effort hit the top of the crossbar. Four minutes later, Sal Abubakar made good progress down the right before setting up Nathan Smart, who shot over.

Half Time: Eastbourne Borough 1 Hartley Wintney 1

The Borough came out for the second half looking more purposeful and almost regained the lead on 49 minutes. A cross from Wheeler found Luer and his shot brought out a good save from Williams, who also saved a follow up shot.

The hosts gained an edge with the advantage of the wind, but it was the Row who almost took the lead on 62 minutes. A good build up saw Smart feed Adam Cornell, who saw his fierce shot from a tight angle bring out a good save from Hadler in the Borough goal. But from the resulting Hartley corner, Eastbourne broke quickly and regained the lead. Wheeler found space on the left and his cross found Dean Cox who finished well from 15 yards. (2-1)

Hartley responded well and Adam Cornell broke through the middle and put the ball into the net. However, an offside flag cut short any celebrations.

The Borough made the game safe on 66 minutes with a third goal. Luke Williams, under pressure, could not get distance on a clearance. The ball was fed through to Charlie Walker who shot home from the edge of the box. (3-1)

The Row struggled to get back into the game, but on 79 minutes Abubakar and Webb combined well and the latter saw his shot deflected just wide.

In the closing stages, Ben Overton showed good skill to weave through the Row defence but shot wide with only Williams to beat.

Hartley were good in parts, especially in the first half. However, over the 90 minutes the Borough had slightly more quality in possession and deserved to progress to the First Round proper. [D Graham]

EASTBOURNE BOROUGH: Tom Hadler, Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, Kristian Campbell, Kane Wills, Manny Adebowale, Dean Cox, Greg Luer, Nick Wheeler, Charlie Walker, James Ferry, Ian Gayle.
Subs: Kiran Khinda-John, Michael West, Scott Chalmer-Stevens, Jethro Hansen, Ayman Gherbeoui, Josh Bray (on), Ben Overton (on).

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Luke Williams, Nathan Smart (c), Louie Paget, Shane Hollamby, Alex.Albert, Sal Abubakar, Josh Webb, Ty Smith, Mickel Platt, Adam Cornell, Steven Duff
Subs: Les Sackey (on), Tyrone Newton, Jordan Alves, Tom Bird (on)


Match Rating: 4/5
Attendance: 278

Anthony Millerick spoke with David after the match:
"I thought in the first 55 minutes we matched them and it was difficult to know which was the higher league team. We made a good recovery after conceding such a quick goal, and at times showed good quality."

Millers continued, "I felt the second goal was such a poor one to concede, and it was always going to be difficult to come back from it.
"Overall a decent performance against higher league opponents, although in the end a disappointing result."
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build & Scripts Integration: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia Design Ltd. | rss widget @