Club Web Forum

Match Report: Hartley Wintney v Alresford Town, Aldershot Senior Cup

Post by KOB - 05-02-2020, 09:30

Hartley Wintney v Alresford Town, Aldershot Senior Invitational Challenge Cup Quarter Final, Tuesday 4th February 2020.
Report by Tyler House

Hartley Wintney left it late but progressed to the semi finals of the Aldershot Senior Cup with a 3-2 home win over Alresford Town.

The visitors had led at half time after Ollie Dennett's early goal before Joe Gater scored a quick-fire double in the second half to put Hartley ahead.

Alresford equalised through substitute Mike Gosney's strike, but Joe Grant headed in the winning goal in stoppage time to book Hartley's place in the last four.

The Wessex League side got off to the perfect start and took the lead inside two minutes. Hartley's Josh Webb was dispossessed by Sam Tonks and his pass found Dennett, who fired the ball into the bottom corner to score. (0-1)

Hartley looked for an immediate response as Mitchell Parker picked out Aaron Kuhl with a cross, but his header at the far post was held by goalkeeper Jordi Valero.

The Row had another chance soon after when a lofted pass from Webb was cleared only as far as Ty Smith, but his scuffed shot went wide.

In the 22nd minute, another shot from Smith deflected wide before Shane Hollamby headed off target from the resulting corner.

Two minutes later, Parker did well to find Nathan Smart out wide and he crossed for Adam Cornell, who failed to convert as Hartley ended the half having missed numerous chances.

HALF TIME: Hartley Wintney 0 Alresford Town 1

With Hartley still behind on the hour mark, they introduced Tom Bird and Sal Abubakar from the bench, a double substitution that was to help the Row to victory.

When Bird won a free kick in the 69th minute, Smith crossed for Gater to head home the equaliser from close range. (1-1)

A minute later, Hartley completed a quick turnaround when Gater bundled in his second goal after the visitors failed to clear a corner from Smith. (2-1)

In the 75th minute, another Hartley set piece was headed onto the post by Hollamby, who then went off injured and was replaced by Alex Albert.

The Magpies then drew level again in the 82nd minute. Following good work down the right, Gosney scored from 12 yards with a well-hit shot into the bottom corner. (2-2)

In a frantic finish to the game, Valero made two outstanding saves to deny Grant and Parker.

However, in the second minute of stoppage time, Hartley grabbed the winner. Abubakar exchanged passes with Smith and his cross was met by Grant, who headed past the goalkeeper to score. (3-2) [Tyler House]

FULL TIME: Hartley Wintney 3 Alresford Town 2

HARTLEY WINTNEY: Luke Williams, Nathan Smart (c), Joe Grant, Joe Gater, Shane Hollamby, Ty Smith, Aaron Kuhl, Dean Rule, Mitchell Parker, Adam Cornell, Josh Webb
Subs: Tom Bird (on for Dean Rule), Sal Abubakar (on for Josh Webb), Alex Albert (on for Shane Hollamby), Tyrone Newton, Sam Argent

ALRESFORD TOWN: Jordi Valero, Joe Chamberlain, Connall Bark, Luke Dempsey, Daryll Wollers, Sam Doswell, Christian Rowe, Pierce McNamara, Sam Tonks, Ollie Dennett, Aidan Radford
Subs: Craig McAllister, Craig Harding (on), Owen Taylor (on), Mike Gosney (on), Liam Hibberd


Match Rating: 4/5
Attendance: 121
Template ©Egemenerd | Site Build & Scripts Integration: Kevin O'Byrne | Web Hosting: Dolia Design Ltd. | rss widget @